the happy way
to swab children
Rhinoswab Junior has been designed to deliver all the benefits of the existing Rhinoswab but with several novel features that reduce the fear, anxiety and trauma associated with the use of traditional nasal swabs for children aged 4 years and over.
Introducing rhinoswab Junior
Designed for children
Clinically validated, superior sample collection
Reduces fear and anxiety in children and their parents over testing
Empowers children to take their own sample under adult supervision
Less intrusive, more comfortable & pain free
Child friendly novelty feature adds fun & distraction
Rhinoswab Junior is listed for sale as a Class 1 device in Europe (CE Mark), in the United States with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in the UK with the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), and in Australia with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).
Rhinoswab Junior is designed to reduce fear and anxiety in children and their parents.
The Royal Children’s Hospital National Child Health Poll of 1434 parents who care for 2553 children, found a range of barriers which may impact on the willingness of parents to attend a testing clinic for their child. Of these parents, almost three quarters (74 per cent) were concerned the COVID-19 test might be stressful, painful or uncomfortable for their child, with 30 per cent indicating these worries are very likely to stop them from taking their child to have a test.
Of the children who had been tested for covid, 79% of children had experienced distress associated with covid testing.
Rhinoswab Junior empowers the child to be in control of placing the swab in their nose. The novel design not only makes the entire process easier and more comfortable, it playfully disarms what was a stressful experience and has the potential to make it fun and engaging. We hope that Rhinoswab Junior will reduce testing reluctance and enable more people to be tested more often.
Repeatable, reliable sample self-collection to optimize antigen test accuracy
Rhinoswab Junior’s standardized sample collection process is pain free and easy to follow.
Rhinoswab Junior’s advanced sample capture coupled with its superior elution, optimizes the reliability and accuracy of the test result.
Rhinoswab Junior Successfully trialed as an alternative to the regular swab for children
Rhinoswab Junior has been successfully trialed by the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Melbourne, Australia1.
To investigate Rhinoswab as an alternative method to the combined throat and deep nasal (CTDN) swab for respiratory sample collection in 250 symptomatic children who present to the RCH’s respiratory clinic for viral testing or the emergency department.
Children received a heathcare worker administered CTDN swab and a healthcare supervised, self-collected Rhinoswab on a randomised basis. The samples were tested by rt-PCR for SARS-CoV-2 and 12 other common respiratory pathogens.
Feedback was also collected from the children, their parents and nursing staff via a survey to compare the user experience associated with Rhinoswab versus the CTDN swab.
Pediatrician and trial lead Dr Shidan Tosif said “Rhinoswab Junior has the potential to turn an unpleasant experience into a more relaxed and possibly even fun experience for children.”
1. Tosif S, Lee L, Nguyen J, Overmars I, Selman C, Grobler A, McMinn A, Waller G, McNab S, Jarvis T, Steer A, Babl F, Daley A, Crawford N, A novel anterior nasal swab to detect respiratory viruses. In: Communicable Diseases & Immunisation Conference 2022; 20-22nd June, Sydney
Support for nasal swabbing in children
Nasal Swab as Preferred Clinical Specimen for COVID-19 Testing in Children
The Paediatric Infectious Disease Journal
The first pediatric study demonstrating significantly higher positivity rate of nasal (mid-turbinate) swab testing over oropharyngeal swab testing in detecting SARS-CoV-2.
This prospective study included all children (age 0–18) with COVID-19 who were tested for detection of SARS-CoV-2 on both nasal and oropharyngeal specimens on admission to the Meyer Children’s University Hospital, Italy between March 12 and March 31, 2020.
If initial diagnostic testing resulted positive for COVID-19 and the patient required hospitalization, a simultaneous collection of nasal and oropharyngeal specimen was performed on admission and was repeated every 1–3 days during hospitalization. Paired results were considered in the statistical analysis, to compare the positivity rate of the 2 sampling techniques and to describe changes in the viral load.
“Results support the superiority of nasal over oropharyngeal swab collection, determined by a significantly higher positivity rate and a significantly higher mean viral load on nasal samples. In fact, the difference in CT suggests a 100-fold higher viral load in nasal specimens when compared with the oropharyngeal ones. This finding was recorded not only on the first combined analysis of infected inpatients but also on the repeated testing during hospitalization.
Benefits might include lower collection-related hazard for healthcare workers. We recommend it as preferred choice for swab-based SARS-CoV-2 testing in children.”
Rhinoswab Junior in the media
Downloads & Specifications
Rhinoswab Junior NEWS
- European Launch of Revolutionary New Swab for Testing Children for Respiratory DiseasesThe world’s most child-friendly respiratory swab was launched in Europe today at Medica 2022 in Dusseldorf, Germany. Rhinoswab Junior is the first nasal swab developed specifically for children. Its unique design addresses one of the pandemics’ … Read more
- New study says there is a better swab for testing children for covid and other virusesA new study suggests the traditional swab suffers from strong reluctance for use for children and a new Melbourne-designed Rhinoswab Junior is the preferred method of sample collection. The reluctance to test children for COVID-19 … Read more
- Study confirms new nasal swab is most accurate, comfortable and easy for kidsRhinomed is pleased to advise of the forthcoming publication of a further study and data by researchers from the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute and the Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) Melbourne confirming the efficacy and comfort of the … Read more
- Surescreen Australia & Rhinomed – Rhinoswab Supply DealRhinomed Limited is pleased to report that it has finalised an exclusive supply agreement with SureScreen Australia to supply Rhinoswabs and Rhinoswab Juniors for inclusion in SureScreen’s class-leading range of lateral flow point of care … Read more
REquest a sample
Rhinoswab Junior is FDA, TGA and CE registered and available for trial or purchase. Rhinoswab Junior is currently available for professional and commercial use only and comes in a minimum order quantity of 1000 swabs.
If you would like to trial Rhinoswab Junior, please complete this form to request samples.
Or contact us to discuss how Rhinoswab Junior may help deliver a better sampling solution for your needs.